Sunday, October 2, 2016

Week 7: Politics & Piety by Saba Mahmood

In "Politics of Piety" by Saba Mahmood we read chapter 5 where it lays out different methods of agency that go beyond resistance. She starts off with how woman cultivates the virtue of shyness by repeated action. And for the mosque movement women, the external shapes the internal, through the profane woman she describes sees the cultivation of shyness as detachment. Mahmood also evaluates Judith Butler's concept of repeated performance for self-formation and the creation of agency. She also examines how women navigate marriage in patriarchal society and also shows how religious women may take a different approach to marriage. And it is no more aimed at altering patriarchal structures than the mosque women movement. The women that are in mosque movement are agents in the patriarchal system because she already recognizes her responsibility to deal with her situation even if she cannot change it. 

This reminds me of how my culture and religion play in the gender role in women. It shows me that middle eastern women will always be below the men and not really have the right to speak up their mind. And when they are young the women are always obligated to think about marriage and having kids. Education and careers are not that important but marriage and having kids is. It honestly makes me happy that I live in the United States and I am given the rights here to get an education and a career and also be able to marry whoever I want when I WANT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment