Sunday, October 9, 2016

'I will NOT wear a hijab’: U.S. chess star refuses to attend world championships in Iran

This is an interesting article I read on WashingtonPost. I understand why she decided not to take part in  Women's World Chess Championship in Iran: She doesn't want to "support women's oppression” by wearing Hijab that is required under Iranian Law. 

I wonder if she would apply the same restriction to France and other European countries where Hijab and Burkini are banned. I wonder if she will apply the same restriction in the US where 'minorities' including women aren't given same opportunities and are 'oppressed.'

This article reminded me of the piece we read by Juliet Williams about Sigheh and her engaging in double critique. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on her decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment