Sunday, September 11, 2016

Muslim Women Do Not Need Saving.

Along with Chandra Mohanty's text, I also read Lila Abu-Lughod's "Do Muslim Women really Need Saving?" in the Gender and Globalization class I took last semester. Her article really resonated with me and was one of the main influences in choosing to take Muslim Feminisms. I remember highlighting, circling, starring, and underlining most of the article because so much of it was eye-opening and broadened my perspectives. What I really liked about her writings were that they challenged my feminism to understand women's rights from a transnational perspective. Rather than thinking that third world women need "saving," Abu-Lughod's article made me realize that there is no hierarchy or unidimensional  oppression/liberation. When shedding a positive light on Western freedoms and making them seem like they are the only truly free way to live, we are ultimately othering everyone who does not fit into this mold. The irony in this mentality depicts Western culture as all-mighty when in reality, we experience the same "third world" issues as Muslim women do: the regulation of women's bodies, among many other oppressions. Western oppressions may be more systematic, rather than overt, but they still bear the same control and discrimination. One of our many flaws in "saving" Muslim women stems from the fact that Western ideology questions and blames the Islamic culture itself, rather than the oppression/system that enforces cultures. This focus directs attention towards a result rather putting a band-aid over an issue. "Saving" ultimately reinforces superiority. Women in U.S. depicted as in need of "saving" as well (bathroom laws).

"My point is to remind us to be aware of differences, respectful of other paths toward social change that might give women better lives" (92)

In Abu-Lughod's chapter The Marriage of Feminism and Islamism in Egypt: Selective Repudiation as a Dynamic of  Post Colonial Cultural Politics she discusses the colonialist feminism that has influenced Islamists in Egypt. In the first few pages of her chapter, Abu-Lughod provides examples and describes the Western ideas of female liberation that is depicted in the media, specifically on TV. On the contrary, Islamic conservatives advocate for more "traditional" female roles in society.

My feminism has become more inclusive and intersectional with these readings. If a woman wants to be veiled, it is up to her to make that decision, not me. I do not decide what other people's liberations are and if I do, I am ultimately doing the opposite of helping to liberate them by taking the role of the oppressor. Women's bodies are policed and regulated no matter what we wear: from a veil to a bikini, we simply can never live up to society's patriarchal body-shaming expectations. If I don't like veils, then I won't wear one, if I don't like short shorts then I won't wear one. Bashing other women for their choice in clothing is oppressive and ultimately reciprocating the patriarchal structure that pits women against each other. My freedom does not give me the right to regulate others' freedoms. Women face enough scrutiny already. Instead of regulating each other's bodies we would encourage and empower each other! However, it is not up to me to determine what empowers or should empower a woman.



After these readings, I find my self questioning the things I can do to help shift the rhetoric around Muslim women's freedom. What are things Western Feminists can do? Is support enough? Are we really "freeing" Muslim women if it's only in the context of becoming just like "us?" Western society was constructed, in part, on the subordination of women and has continually depicted us as weak and in need of saving, so why are only Muslim women seen as in need of saving? Why are we always the ones to point fingers?

"So before you point your fingers,
 Be sure your hands are clean." 

-Bob Marley, Judge Not

No comments:

Post a Comment